Earth Snapshot RSS Feed Twitter
 
 
 
 

Posts tagged Chagai District

Sandy Desert on Afghanistan-Pakistan Border

30.3N 63.7E

December 31st, 2010 Category: Deserts, Rivers

Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran - December 26th, 2010

This image stretches of Pakistan (right), across Afghanistan (above) to part of Iran (left). Part of the Indus River and Valley, in Pakistan, can be observed as a thick green line in the lower right quadrant.

The tan area surrounded by mountains in the image center is the desert of southern Afghanistan, which reaches over the Pakistan border. The two rows of hills at the bottom of this desert are located in the Chagai District of Pakistan.

Hills and Desert in Pakistan’s Chagai District, on the Afghan Border

28.8N 64.4E

March 28th, 2010 Category: Mountains

Pakistan - March 5th, 2010

Pakistan - March 5th, 2010

From bottom to top, this image reaches from the coast of Pakistan along the Arabian Sea, across several areas of hills and mountains, to the desert of southern Afghanistan. Towards the center are two areas of hills surrounded by desert, in the Chagai District of Pakistan by the Afghan border.

Chagai is the largest district of Pakistan (total area 50,545 kmĀ²), and is located on the north west corner of Balochistan, Pakistan, where it forms a triangular border with Afghanistan and Iran. It is located in the extreme west of Pakistan and comprises the belt which lies south of the Pakistan-Afghanistan boundary, from the Sarlath Hills on the east to Koh-i-Malik Siah on the west, with a length of about 576 kilometres and an average breadth of 80 kilometres.

The district is bound on the north by the desert region of Afghanistan (which lies south of the Helmand River), on the east by the Sarlath Hill Range and Kalat District, on the south by Kharan District and on the west by Iran. The northern boundary of the district, which separates it from Afghanistan, was demarcated in 1896 by a joint Afghan-British Commission. The western border with Iran was demarcated by a joint Pakistan-Iran Commission in 1959.