Earth Snapshot RSS Feed Twitter
 
 
 
 

Posts tagged Armenia

Lakes Van, Urmia and Sevan, in Turkey, Iran and Armenia

38.6N 42.9E

September 22nd, 2011 Category: Lakes

Turkey and Iran - September 9th, 2011

Visible in this image are three lakes arranged in a triangle: Lake Van, in Turkey (left), the reddish Lake Urmia, in Iran (right), and Lake Sevan, in Armenia (above). Each is the largest lake in its respective country.

While Lakes Van and Sevan appear dark blue, Lake Urmia is rusty red in color. It is saline and ringed by salt flats that are white in color where its waters have (partially) evaporated.

Caucasus Mountains and Lakes Van, Urmia and Sevan in Eurasia – August 25th, 2011

41.5N 44.8E

August 25th, 2011 Category: Image of the day, Lakes, Mountains

Caspian Sea - July 26th, 2011

The Caucasus Mountains stretch between the Black Sea (left) and the Caspian Sea (right) in the Caucasus region of Eurasia. The Caucasus Mountains include the Greater Caucasus Mountain Range and
the Lesser Caucasus Mountains.

The Greater Caucasus Range extends from the Caucasian Natural Reserve in the vicinity of Sochi on the northeastern shore of the Black Sea, generally trending east-southeast and reaching nearly to Baku on the Caspian Sea, while the Lesser Caucasus runs parallel to the greater range, at a distance averaging about 100 km (62 mi) south.

Visible to the south of the mountains are three lakes arranged in a triangle: Lake Van, in Turkey (left), the reddish Lake Urmia, in Iran (right), and Lake Sevan, in Armenia. Each is the largest lake in its respective country.

Lake Sevan in Central Armenia

40.3N 45.3E

December 5th, 2009 Category: Lakes

Armenia - November 24th, 2009

Armenia - November 24th, 2009

Lake Sevan is the largest lake in Armenia and one of the largest high-altitude lakes in the world. It is situated in the central part of the Republic of Armenia, inside the Gegharkunik Province, at the altitude of 1900m above sea level.

The total surface area of its basin is about 5000 km2, the lake itself is 940 km2, and the volume is 34.0 bln cubic meters. It is fed by 28 rivers and streams. Only 10% of the outgoing water is drained by the Hrazdan (Razdan) River, while the remaining 90% evaporates. Sevan is of volcanic origin and full of freshwater springs. Thus, in the middle of the lake, the water is pure and drinkable.

Before human intervention dramatically changed this ecosystem the lake was 95 metres deep, covered an area of 1,360 km² (5% of Armenia’s entire area), had a volume of 58 km³ and a perimeter of 260 km. The lake surface was at an altitude of 1,950 m above sea level.

Natural Lakes and Artificial Reservoirs in Turkey

41.0N 43.2E

May 25th, 2009 Category: Lakes

Turkey - May 17th, 2009

Turkey - May 17th, 2009

Lake Çıldır is a large freshwater lake in the Ardahan Province, northeastern part of Turkey, visible here northwest of the center of the image. The lake is close to the borders with Georgia and Armenia.

Lake Çıldır is located at an elevation of about 1,900 m and surrounded by mountains. It has an area of 123.00 km² and maximum depth of about 42 m. Water from the lake is used for irrigation.

A smaller lake, Lake Aktaş, can be seen north of Lake Çıldır. It is located on the border of Georgia and Turkey.

Another smaller lake, Lake Arpi, is visible east of Lakes Çıldır and Aktaş, on the other side of the snow-capped peaks. It can be found at an altitude of 2,023 m in the Shirak Province of Armenia. Fed by thaws and four streams, it is the source of the Akhurian River, known as the Arpaçay River in Turkish.

Moving to the southwest of those three lakes, the dark blue waters of an artificial reservoir are visible. This is the Arpaçay Reservoir, in the Kars Province of Turkey’s the Eastern Anatolia region. The reservoir was created by the dam of the same name, finished in 1983, on the aforementioned Akhurian (or Arpaçay) River.

Lakes in Azerbaijan and Armenia – May 24th, 2009

40.7N 47.0E

May 24th, 2009 Category: Image of the day, Lakes

Azerbaijan - May 17th, 2009

Azerbaijan - May 17th, 2009

Two lakes are visible amidst mountain ranges in Azerbaijan (right) and Armenia (left).

The long lake near the center is the Mingacevir Reservoir, in Azerbaijan’s Kur-Araz Lowlands. It was created by the Mingacevir Dam, whose total capacity is 15.6 cubic kilometers of water.

The length of the reservoir is 70 km, width from 3 to 18 km, deepest point about 75 meters and total area 605 km².

Apart from the River Kur, the reservoir feeds two channels of the 172 km-long Upper Qarabag Channel and the 123 km-long Upper Sirvan Channel. These channels are used to irrigate 10,000 square kilometres of area in the steppes of Mil, Mugan and Sirvan.

Moving to the southwest, across the Bozdag Mountain chain into Armenia, one comes to Lake Sevan, in the province of Gegharkunik.

It is the largest lake in Armenia and one of the largest high-altitude lakes in the world, fed by 28 rivers and streams. Only 10% of the outgoing water is drained by the Hrazdan River, while the remaining 90% evaporates.

Before human intervention dramatically changed this ecosystem, the lake was 95 metres deep, covered an area of 1,360 km² (5% of Armenia’s entire area), had a volume of 58 km³ and a perimeter of 260 km. The lake surface was at an altitude of 1,950 m above sea level.

About Us

Earth Observation

Organisations

Archive

December 2019
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Categories


Bulletin Board


Featured Posts

Information

49


Take Action

Widgets