Reservoirs Along the Dnieper River, Ukraine48.4N 34.0E
Two wide bodies of water are visible along the path of the Dnieper River in Ukraine: the Kakhovka Reservoir (above) and the Dniprodzerzhynsk Reservoir (below). Brown and green fields of varying shapes and sizes surround these bodies of water. The white patches south of the Dniprodzerzhynsk Reservoir appear to be salt flats or pans near the city of Vilnohirsk.
The Kakhovka Reservoir covers a total surface area of 2,155 square kilometres in the territories of the Kherson, Zaporizhia, and the Dnipropetrovsk Oblasts of Ukraine. The reservoir is 240 km long, up to 23 km wide, and has an average depth of 8.4 meters (with depth varying from 3 to 26 m). The total water volume is 18.2 km³. It was created in 1956 when the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant was built.
The Dniprodzerzhynsk Reservoir is smaller, covering a total area of 567 square kilometres within the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast. The reservoir is 114 km in length, 5 km in width (8 km max.); has a depth of 15 meters, and a volume of 2.45 km³. It was formed between 1963 and 1965.