Earth Snapshot RSS Feed Twitter
 
 
 
 

Lake Sevan in Central Armenia

40.3N 45.3E

December 5th, 2009 Category: Lakes

Armenia - November 24th, 2009

Armenia - November 24th, 2009

Lake Sevan is the largest lake in Armenia and one of the largest high-altitude lakes in the world. It is situated in the central part of the Republic of Armenia, inside the Gegharkunik Province, at the altitude of 1900m above sea level.

The total surface area of its basin is about 5000 km2, the lake itself is 940 km2, and the volume is 34.0 bln cubic meters. It is fed by 28 rivers and streams. Only 10% of the outgoing water is drained by the Hrazdan (Razdan) River, while the remaining 90% evaporates. Sevan is of volcanic origin and full of freshwater springs. Thus, in the middle of the lake, the water is pure and drinkable.

Before human intervention dramatically changed this ecosystem the lake was 95 metres deep, covered an area of 1,360 km² (5% of Armenia’s entire area), had a volume of 58 km³ and a perimeter of 260 km. The lake surface was at an altitude of 1,950 m above sea level.

Leave a Reply


About Us

Earth Observation

Organisations

Archive

September 2016
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Categories


Bulletin Board


Featured Posts

Information

38


Take Action

Widgets