Earth Snapshot RSS Feed Twitter
 
 
 
 

Search Results for ""lake geneva"":

Fire Near Lake Geneva, Switzerland

46.4N 6.5E

May 12th, 2012 Category: Fires, Lakes, Mountains

Italy, Switzerland, France - May 11th, 2012

The Alps, covered in snow, arch across the upper part of this image, marking the border between Italy (right) and Switzerland (above, left) and France (below, left). A plume of smoke from a fire near Lake Geneva blows southward and then curves to the west, trailing out over the Mediterranean Sea.

Lake Geneva at the Foot of the Alps, Western Europe

46.4N 6.5E

January 2nd, 2012 Category: Lakes, Mountains

Western Europe - December 26th, 2011

The peaks of the Alps are capped in snow in this winter image focusing on Italy, France and Switzerland. Visible at the foot of the Alps on the Swiss-French border is Lake Geneva, one of the largest lakes in Western Europe. Just under 60% of the lake is in Swiss territory, and just over 40% in French territory.

Lake Geneva, formed by a retreating glacier, has a crescent shape that narrows around Yvoire on the southern shore. It can thus be divided figuratively into the “Grand Lac” (Large Lake) to the east and the “Petit Lac” (Small Lake) to the west. The Chablais Alps border its southern shore, the western Bernese Alps lie over its eastern side.

Lake Geneva by the Chablais and Bernese Alps, France and Switzerland

46.4N 6.5E

May 20th, 2011 Category: Lakes, Mountains

Switzerland and France - May 4th, 2011

Lake Geneva or Lake Léman lies near the center of this image on the border of Switzerland and France at the foot of the Alps. Roughly 60% of it (345.31 km²) comes under the jurisdiction of Switzerland, while the other approximately 40 % (234.71 km²) comes under that of France.

One of the largest lakes in Western Europe, it was formed by a retreating glacier, and has a crescent shape that narrows around Yvoire on the southern shore. The Chablais Alps border its southern shore, the western Bernese Alps lie over its eastern side.

Lake Geneva by Alps, Switzerland and Italy

46.4N 6.5E

February 27th, 2011 Category: Lakes, Mountains

Italy - February 11th, 2011

Snow frames the peaks of the Alps but is lacking in the valleys below in this image focusing on northwestern Italy and southwestern Switzerland.

The valley of the River Po can be observed in Italy to the south of the mountains, while Lake Geneva is visible in Switzerland to the north of the mountains.

Rhône River Entering Lake Geneva, Switzerland and France – May 10th, 2010

46.4N 6.5E

May 10th, 2010 Category: Image of the day, Lakes, Rivers

Switzerland - April 28th, 2010

Switzerland - April 28th, 2010

Lake Geneva (below center) is the largest Alpine lake in Europe, with an area of 224 square miles (581 square km). The Chablais Alps border its southern shore, the western Bernese Alps lie over its eastern side.

The lake lies between southwestern Switzerland and Haute-Savoie département, in southeastern France. About 134 square miles (347 square km) of the lake’s area are Swiss, and 90 square miles (234 square km) are French.

Crescent in shape, the lake is formed by the Rhône River, which enters it at the east end between Villeneuve, Switzerland, and Saint-Gingolph, France, and leaves it at the west end through the city of Geneva.

About Us

Earth Observation

Organisations

Archive

January 2020
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Categories


Bulletin Board


Featured Posts

Information

03


Take Action

Widgets